« Home | Second Time's a Charm! » | Waiting Room » | Shake Yo' Thang » | Fanboy (part I) » | Trial and Error » | The Name Says It All » | All Star Squad » | Getting Personal » | Secret Identity » | Outside Resources »

Cover Story (part I)


This is a cover design in the early stages for Johnny Justice. I posted the pencils because I want people who don’t necessarily know the process of a typical comic book page/image to better understand that it’s not only a one or two step process.

The pencils are laid out first, followed by the inks, and then the color process begins (obviously this process stops at step two if the book is in black and white). The inked version will be posted in part II, and then I’ll take a stab at the colors for part III.

A little on the costume: the mask and shirt are made of a Kevlar/silk polymer that is not quite bulletproof, but is able to withstand even the toughest stains. The neck (see previous post entitled “First Attempt” for a better glimpse) and the pants are neoprene. Why neoprene, you ask? Because it’s more practical than tights, but still retains the same “slimming” effect =) No, really, the practicality plays a huge role in his costume design, and neoprene is warm, waterproof, and extremely flexible – makes good sense when you think about it. The boots, well, they are nonexistent in this drawing (come to think of it, they’re nonexistent in the other post as well!), and I’ll have to find a page in my sketchbook to show them. I’ll explain them when an image is posted. This brings us to the “SATCHCAN” on his back, which is an amalgamation of “satchel” and “canister”. It’s a satchel because when opened, there are pouches for storage. It’s a canister simply because it looks like one, complete with screw top “lids” on the sides. Oh, and by the way, the elongated rectangle on the side is not for decoration. It’s where the glider wings snap out by pressing the button on the strap (positioned on the side of his body). Makes jumping from the tops of buildings a lot safer! The sunglasses, er, “protective eyewear” utilizes the typical run-of-the-mill polarized, polycarbonate lens. The lenses flip forward from back-to-front in case he is inside or out at night. This is a feature on the new Oakley Thump.

Hopefully, you won’t have to wait too incredibly long for the rest of the image and the inks.

J out.

I really like your concepts and ideas behind what you are drawing. Not many artists are thinking on that level when drawing and/or designing a character, good work. I would say my only criticism is to work on the anatomy a little more. As with this piece the proportions are mostly good, but the head is too large. What hurts the most is when you get all of the anatomy right and then one part sticks out like a sore thumb! That is why some people's work looks ok even when their anatomy is all funky because at least they are consistent with their wrong or exaggerated anatomy.

I'm working constantly on my anatomy everyday (believe me I'm no master) and it will really improve your work and take you to that next level. It will also really help you out on your rendering techniques, especially those ink wash studies. I suggest working from either Andrew Loomis' Figure Drawing For All It's Worth, or Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life. Both are really good books.

The Loomis book mentioned above isn't in print anymore and is very expensive to buy now! So below is a link to a site where you can view and even print off pages from his various books.

Good luck and thanks for checking out my blog.

-Jeremy
www.jeremysorrell.com

(Andrew Loomis Link) http://www.saveloomis.org/

Hi, I just saw your comment about fimo and I thought I mention you can make some fantasitc silver beads with Precious Metal Clay from Argentice. Thanks.

Post a Comment