« Home | The Punishment Continues » | Punishment » | Oil Change » | Props to the Lady » | Grey Matters » | Senior VP of Sales and Marketing » | Sole Provider » | A Story's Worth a Thousand Words » | The Man Behind the Man » | Department of Transportation »

Vacation Gone Awry



Using references for comic art is an invaluable thing. Nowadays it’s easy to just google any topic and, bada-bing, you have a reference point. It makes the piece much more believable to the viewer, and it also serves as a good exercise for the artist.

I have always viewed the Punisher as sort of a man’s man, kind of like the guy at school that deep down every guy wants to be like, but they are too afraid to talk to. I chose this particular bike because it’s nothing too fancy or nice to look at, but gets the job done.

I thought the Hawaiian shirt would give the sketch a little extra personality, and the colors contrasted to the grey of the ink wash make the image pop off the page. And who’s to say that Frank has no sense of humor? All in all, I am relatively happy with the way this sketch turned out; although at the time I wished the drawing space was a little bigger (8.5” x 11” restricts quite a bit when I’m used to 11” x 17”.

J out.

Hey man,


This picture is pretty cool, it has a nice feel to it and all of the proportions are in check, to me it appears that he is either jumping on or off of the motorcycle in motion, now it might be wise to realize that I take medication that nocks me right out so it is pretty much like I am drunk and typing this. The silhouetted trees are a nice touch and compliment the hawaiian shirt. I think it might have added a wee bit more action to this piece if you would have put some residue that the tires were blowning, but you did have very limited space, so I think that you did a pretty great job on it.


http://therightbackalley.blogspot.com


-Chris

Hi Chris!

The main regret I have looking back on this sketch is that the gun wasn't firing. I actually ran out of time (in other words - it was late, and I was tired) or I would have added a little more detail to the tires/wheels as well.

Thanks for visiting!

Jason

Post a Comment