« Home | Big Fat Black Marker » | We Are the World » | Cover Story (part II) » | Let Freedom Ring! » | Fantastic Sketch » | Vacation Gone Awry » | The Punishment Continues » | Punishment » | Oil Change » | Props to the Lady »

Wreaking Havoc



I realized last night that it’s been a few days since I had posted anything. I’ve been working on a few sequentials per request, and with the busy life I lead, they have been taking up the few hours a week I have to spare. I was running extremely short on time, but I had to throw down a sketch or two.

In the tradition of the Iron Chef Challenges on Gelatometti, I decided I would try to complete a sketch in an hour or less. It ended up being less – a lot less. 00:18:57 to be exact! I wanted to choose a character without a lot of detail because I was afraid that the time would pass by too quickly if I focused too much on detailed work, thus the sketch of the old school Havoc. I loved Marc Silvestri’s run on Uncanny and I especially loved his rendition of Havoc, who I’ve always thought was way cooler than his brother Cyclops. The guy can turn mountains into powder, for Pete’s sake!

I chose to work with a big fat marker for the blacks to save time. Besides, it’s just a sketch, not a finished page. I must say that I enjoyed working under small time constraints because the action of the page IMO is captured better as a result of not tweaking every little detail and erasing, adding, erasing, and so on.

J out.

Hey Jason,


Yo, man I really think that this piece is awesome and it is pretty cool that you finished it in like 18 minutes, and this seemed like a great reason to share a belief of mine, in comics when there is an action shot it should be a very simple draft movement with a bit of definition, but, not too much, because then it just looks a little bland and it loses the feel of excitement that the original quick figure has and I think that the figure should all be drawn as quick as you think that you need to for the movement and not so much just alot of striated lines to make movement, I mean that is just boring, and I think that the rest should be taken care of by the colorists, something simple enough with enough detail in the face and certain things, but not too much. Check out my blog some time and drop me a line http://therightbackalley.blogspot.com


-Chris

wow!, did u do all those, those are awesome.

To Harvey,

I definitely feel you on the minimal usage of detail for mega-action poses. I checked out your bolg - thanks for finally posting some stuff with inks!

----------------------------------

To jordan,

Yes, and thank you!

Jason

Love the old school Marvel costumes. Especially Havoks. This is a nice picture bro.

Thanks, GNF! I love that era of X-Men!

Jason

Post a Comment