« Home | Sundown » | Hospital Woes » | Getting iNTiMATE » | Video Killed the...Comic Book Star? » | Warming Up: Part VIII » | OMAC, Anyone? » | Warming Up: Part VII » | Lucky Number 7even » | Warming Up: Part VI » | Warming Up: Part V »

My First Time



In the spirit of nostalgia (and Dadicus’s most recent blog entry) here is a shot of the first ever comic book I ever owned – and I didn’t even purchase it myself.

The year was 1989. It was a typical Saturday afternoon and my family and I was visiting the local mall as we always did on Saturdays. My aunt was with us that weekend from out of town (not sure of the occasion), and as she and I were en route to meet my parents at the food court we (at my request) passed through CardCo, the tiny kiosk that housed comics, baseball cards, and (in a few months) boxes of Batman™ cards from the original movie ::drool::

As I was looking at the new releases rack, she said she would buy me a comic book, but nothing over 75 cents. As I scanned the rack for something that fell into that price range my eyes fell on “Solo Avengers Starring Hawkeye #14”, a must have for any serious collector, lol. I distinctly remember picking it up never realizing that I would someday try to emulate the things that my eyes were seeing.

I wish I could say that I had been hooked and spent all of my allowance on comics from then on, but it wasn’t until around the time of Jim Lee’s X-Men that I truly started taking the idea of comics “seriously.” Like Dadicus, it was the 7th grade, and I met another who shared the same passion…but that is another post altogether and I am working on getting the newspaper clipping from that story as we speak =)

Quick stats on the aforementioned comic:
Solo Avengers #14
Cover Date: January 1989
Writer(s): Tom DeFalco; Chris Claremont
Artist(s): Al Milgrom; Alan Davis
Inker(s): Jose Marzan; Joe Rubinstein
Colorist(s): Janet Jackson; Paul Becton
Letterer(s): Jack Morelli; Tom Orzechowski
Story Title(s): When the Widow Calls; Court Costs
Appearances By: Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Black Widow; She-Hulk, Titania

Alas, it now sports a nice tear on the cover thanks to my younger brother, lol.


J out.

Afraid to say that the artwork looks a lot better then what MARVEL has to offer today.

I think a lot of people got turned on by Jim's X-MEN #1 well all except me haha then again I was 7 yrs old when that came out.But even now it still wows the hell out of me. BTW hows the comic and the proffessional doing these days??

I am starting to feel old by checking the first of you guys!!

Jason tomorrow I will send you the email sorry for the absence I have been pretty busy!1..
Great day to you guys!!..JESUS ANTONIO

Hey Antonio - you can email me whenever =)

GNF,
Things are going pretty well actually even though I am a little behind my personal schedule, lol. I'll drop a reminder on here before the issue comes out =)

And yes, the artwork "back then" tended to be a LOT more detailed than today's stuff. I really enjoy how artists of those days concentrated on making things somewhat realistic in terms of anatomy, etc. I think I just enjoy a lot of the artwork produced in the 80's period, lol.

Jason

I totaly agree todays stuff from marvel is really weak.......really weak. But at least they've got skottie young, and John Casady!!! And now Franis lienal yu!!!! AND THE TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF JOE MADUREIRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is really cool to see everybodys firsts, seems to show a direct connection to their art today!!!

That's an interesting observation about the "connection of artwork" thing...never thought of it that way =)

its really nice too see peoples first comic books...

I posted mine at my blog but I can't see the "connection with my art" :)

your comic has a tear now?... I remember writing at mine, a couple of pages missing, and ultimately losing it:)

It seems to me that the first comic book wasn't really the book that got most of us collecting.. and you have a separate story for that.. can't wait to see it:)

and yes sometimes i think the art was way way better back then, than some of the stuff in marvel right now:)
--kino--

Post a Comment